Saturday, December 10, 2011

Reflections.....during church......

We have really enjoyed the church here in Cairns, Australia. The name of the place is called Centenary Lakes. It is a contemporary service AND it has a "Kids Church" program for Ben. Being a missionary in PNG, it has been hard to have consistent teaching and consistent worship every Sunday.

When we are in PNG, we attend a Sunday morning worship service. But, we do not have a "pastor". Instead, every week, a different person from the community gets up to share on a topic. While this works and God definitely speaks through the different people, it is not consistent. All that to say that one of our favorite things to do here in Cairns (Yes, even compared to the beach and the lagoon and all the food) is to go to church. We love going. We look forward to the worship and the message. It is just one of the MANY highlights of our week. Seriously. I am not just writing that because I have been blogging so much about the beach lately. :) We love going to this church!

But, in all honesty, I did not want to be at church this morning.

I was hoping to be in the hospital having little Mel. But, that didn't happen.

So, I decided to make the most of church. The worship immediately changed my sour attitude. Plus, the church has a great air conditioning system....so my hot self was instantly cooled. I felt like I was in a very different place- both physically and mentally.

When it was time for the message, I have to admit that I checked out. The speaker started talking about Jesus' lineage (a part of the series leading up to Christmas). Today's message was about David and it was a comparison between Jesus and David. I am sure the message was good, but my mind drifted elsewhere. I actually started thinking about this blog post. So, I am going to try to type out my train of thought......

Before I do that (in the next post), here are a couple pictures of the church we attend here:



No comments: