Saturday, January 21, 2012

Melanie is 5 Weeks Old!

She is growing, too! I weighed her on my trusty suitcase scale and she weighed 4.12 kg. But, I took her to the doctor on Wednesday (right when she turned 5 weeks) and he weighed her without clothes and a diaper. She weighed in at 4.02 kg. So, she has gained 1 kilo in a little over one month. The conversion is 8 pounds 13 ounces.

Melanie has developed eczema, which I am told is a combination of really really dry skin and an allergy. So, we are having to apply lotion (QV Cream) to her face all the time. We also are bathing her in a special QV bar/"soap". I have been driving myself nuts trying to figure out what she could be allergic to. My plan is to buy special laundry detergent today and wash all our clothes in that. Also, Caleb has been suffering from really bad allergies ever since we arrived in Cairns. I am hoping that when we go back to PNG, this will clear up on its own. If it doesn't, then I will try and cut out dairy since I was allergic to it as a baby.

Melanie is an amazing baby girl. Oh, and she SMILED at 4 weeks and 4 days.....and has been smiling at us ever since. I love baby smiles. And, hers are just the best.

On Friday, we had a photo shoot with a local photographer here in Cairns. We got some Christmas money from one of Caleb's best friends from high school and Melanie and I put our money towards this shoot. (Thanks, Paul and Mena!!!) The shoot was from 4pm-6:30pm (not Melanie's best time of the day), so I was a nervous wreck the entire day. But, we had a really calm morning and Melanie literally slept the entire day. She woke up for the photo shoot and was really great. She didn't like facing the sunny-ish part. But, I think that the photographer got some really great shots. She is editing the shots now and hopes to get it to us by Thursday. YAY! I am so excited. I can't wait to see them. We found this photographer from a flyer at a coffee shop....only to find out that she is a Christian and considering mission work herself. She gave us an amazing deal and we just feel so blessed that we were able to capture this special time of our life.

And now, for some not-so-great but oh-so-cute pictures of Melanie.






1 comment:

Jillian said...

So sorry about the eczema Adrienne - Alex and Evie both have it. Guess we get to blame those Weirs! ;) Evie's has cleared up for the most part. I try to keep her from getting too hot and I've been bathing her with dandruff shampoo. For the flare-ups I use just a teeny bit of hydrocortisone cream. Can't wait to see the professional shots of her!