Sometimes I love to live in PNG….other times, I just wish we lived somewhere else.
We put together a powerpoint to show to our home church. It was supposed to show last Sunday. Needless to say, that didn’t happen.
What is so frustrating is that even though we have internet, we are not in a country anything like America or other countries. I spent a good four days working on the powerpoint, picking out the music, having it approved and then getting it ready to mail….only for the thumb drive to sit in Port Moresby, PNG……and NOT get mailed. When I finally found out that it had never left the country, I spent another day trying to get all the necessary information to the DHL office (for a second time). Apparently there were a few of us whose packages did not get mailed, so when we all started calling simultaneously, the office decided to just take the phone off the hook for the entire afternoon. Classic!
Miraculously, the powerpoint made it to Raleigh with like a day to spare, but there was a “technical glitch” which prevented it from actually being shown. Makes me sick to my stomach to think about all the time we spent trying to “perfect” it only for it to never reach its intended target in time. There are days like this where I do not like to live here. I just think back to all those hours of rushing, only to be disappointed.
I think what bothers me the most about this is that there are times that I do not feel “far removed”. With internet access and Skype privileges, there are brief moments in time when I forget that I am in a third world country…..and I think others do, too. But, when something like this happens, there is no denying that we are just in a land very NOT like America. Things here take a ridiculous amount of time…..and everything you try and do in this country is unpredictable.
I guess it is good for me to get a reality check like this every once and a while. I live a life in denial most days…..denial that I am so far away….denial that things like this simple powerpoint presentation would be this difficult……denial that life is really hard here when you compare it to living back home……
Well, please be praying that our church finds a time to fit us into their schedule. I have heard countless stories from friends here who speak about things like this happening. It is just so obvious that this is an attack……please pray that others would share in this ministry…..please pray that all the needs that we have will be communicated…..
Please pray….
No comments:
Post a Comment