Friday, June 25, 2010

Honesty Time

We were taught during our training that there are certain emotional ups and downs that seem to be present in all new missionaries.  One of the downs is resentment of your host culture.  Things are difficult because they are different, and different is "wrong".  And so, I find myself in the middle of this particular line of thinking.  You know how you read the news at home and you just get depressed because you think, "if only they did THIS, then everything would be ok!"  Well, That is how I feel all the time here. 
 
Everything I do or say, I have to think hard about it before I do it.  (some of you are saying "finally")  I have to consider cultural implications and another worldview every time I attempt to communicate or act.  It's hard, and tiring.  So, I get annoyed easily at what I view as stupid, self-destructive behavior, all the time thinking, "if only you did it this way", or "why do you think such stupid things?"  I imagine that eventually I will resign myself to working within the culture rather than trying to change it, but for now I'm bothered by it all.
 
Life outside of work is pleasant and full of interesting times!  Our Bible Study group is a bunch of Americans so we're reminded of home often.  It's been said by another group member that "it's nice to be in a group where you can talk about things like Target and Walmart, and you don't have to explain them to the people listening!"  It's a way for us to stay connected with our home culture, and it is nice! 
 
I'm sure Adrienne has talked a bunch about what life is like here: the walking, the store, the market, the morning teas, the walking, the language, the walking, the weather, the walking, and the walking.  I'm riding around on a rented motorcycle, so my shoes aren't taking as much of a beating, but poor Adrienne has to push Ben around in the stroller all the time!  It's a workout for sure!  I really have to brag about my wife to all of you who "thought" you knew her.  She's a seamstress, a gardener, a chef, a socialite, and above all, a snappy dresser!  She continues to make our life here much easier.  When we get home, I'm buying her one awesome dishwasher!  No more dishes for you sweetheart!
 
I just wanted to say Thanks to all of you who have been praying for us and sending packages and calling us.  You are a huge encouragement!  We have a little family party every time a box shows up here with our name on it!  We open up the box and we can smell the trans-pacific love!  We always look forward to phone and Skype calls when we get to talk with you!  We are excited to hear about how God has been blessing you.  Even from this far away, there is cause for joy when we hear about your lives!
 
Caleb

No comments: