Waxhaw, NC is the home of the JAARS center. JAARS stands for Jungle Aviation and Radio Service. In short, it is a place that supports Bible Translation all over the world. Because of this, a lot of missionaries make their way through Waxhaw. I was able to reconnect with a lot of Missionary Kids (MKs) while we were in Waxhaw for two weeks.
First, when I found out that Emma and Kelsey were going to be together in Columbia, SC, I just knew I had to make a trip to see them. Mel and I hopped in the car one Sunday morning and drove 2 hours to Kelsey's grandmother's house. We went out for lunch where we had amazing deep-fried sushi (only in the South, right?) Then, we drove around Columbia trying to find the Paul Mitchell Cosmetology school that Kelsey would begin attending in the fall. After a lot of wrong turns and the GPS lying repeatedly, we found it and took some pictures.
We also ended up walking around a super Walmart, which I have to say is a VERY odd experience. Less than 2 months ago, we were all meeting weekly in PNG, where there were no 1st world type stores. So, to be in a mega superstore like Walmart with this ladies was strange....so very strange. I guess it is hard to explain why....but it just didn't feel right.
It was so sad to say Good-Bye again to Emma and Kelsey because once again you just never know when paths will cross again. But, I am confident that I will see them soon, somehow.
Towards the end of our time in Waxhaw, NC, I got to spend an evening with MORE MK's. So much fun. In this picture below: Standing- Hannah, Leslie and Emily (These three girls were a part of my Bible Study group in PNG). Sitting- Carmin and Abby (these girls were in the grade above the girls I worked with but both played soccer the year I coached and I went on their senior trip with them).
We had a great time at Brix and ordered lots of different pizzas to share and sample. :) Really great night! LOTS, and I mean, LOTS of laughs!



.jpg)


No comments:
Post a Comment