Thursday, December 20, 2012

My PNG Experience (Part 1)...or at least what I shared at a Women's Event...

This is a long one....so maybe I will break it up into sections....we will see....

Here is a talk I gave during a Women's Event at my church right before heading back to Colorado to join Caleb who was already there working....I am hoping it will give you some more insight into how PNG affected me and the experience we had through my eyes.  I wrote this a couple of months ago, so I plan to elaborate more in the weeks to come...



(July 2009...we left for PNG January 2013)


"Our family has served as support staff missionaries for the past 2 ½ years.  We returned to America on July 1st and have moved 22 times in the last 13 ½ weeks.  It has been a rollercoaster ride where we have experienced reverse culture shock but have had the chance to reconnect with so many of our friends and family….and now our church community.  Because of all the moves and all the transition, I apologize if some of my talk tonight is a bit incoherent.  Currently, I am alone with my children while my husband begins his new job out in Colorado.

Now, let me begin by saying that even though I am here standing before you calling myself a missionary, prior to meeting my husband in 2000, I would not have been able to find PNG on map.  Then, I wouldn’t have known that it is close to Australia and that it in fact shares an island with Indonesia.  I have always been what I call “a city girl”.  And, I would even go so far as to call myself a “very sheltered city girl.”  I have only ever been to 3 countries- Jamaica for my honeymoon, Mexico for vacation and PNG for 2 ½ years. 
So, if you think that I am the kind of girl who has grown up reading all about missionaries or that I have dreamed of becoming one for all my life, you would be wrong.  In fact, I wasn’t even raised in a Christian home.

So why did we go?

It’s not like we just didn’t have anything else to do.  When we left for PNG, we both left decent jobs- Caleb was a police officer and I was a tax auditor.  We owned a home.  We had a 2 year old.  We attended an amazing church (Grace) and we belonged to a Bible Study group where we found amazing friends we hoped to “grow old with”.  Even now, I cannot help but look back and think, how could I have just left it all behind?  What possessed me to do that?

Well, I do not want to spend a lot of my time tonight talking about the decision to go to PNG.  I have a blog and if you would like to read that story, it is all there….or we can chat later on.  But, to keep it simple, we found out that there was a pressing need for a Security Manager in PNG.  Our organization's largest translation and literacy center is located in PNG in a place called Ukarumpa.  Because there are over 800 languages in PNG (which is about the size of California), there is a need for a centralized location for support.  This center serves as that place.  We realized that Caleb could meet that pressing need, so we decided to take a risk.  Well, it was a risk…for God.  Maybe that contradicts itself- risk for God.  But, at the time, that is exactly what it felt like.  Even though in my head, I knew I was supposed to be able to trust God, it felt like a risk.  It felt scary.  It felt unknown.

Now let me try to put our experience in context for you- what did we do there?  What was it like?
We were support missionaries.  Everyone living on our center was there to support Bible Translation in one way or another.  Think of it this way, what skills and abilities do you have now?  Did you know they could be used overseas serving as missionaries?  I didn’t know that before I went.  I always thought that to be a missionary, you had to go through seminary or you had to have a heart for evangelism.  I have a heart of discipleship….really, could that be used overseas?  I am an accountant….really, could I help further Bible translation as an accountant?  It just didn’t seem to fit what my preconceived ideas were about being a missionary.

So, in PNG, some of the missionaries were translators.  They lived in the village at times during the year and at other times, they were back at our center, getting the support they needed.  In the village, they had to learn the language (Tok Ples- heart language), devise an alphabet, then translate the Bible.  Depending on the situation, this could take 8 years or it could take 30.  Others on our center were there to support those translators- so you had doctors and nurses and dentists, IT guys, teachers, pilots, mechanics- the idea being that if translators did not have this support, then they would be pulled from their translation project every time they needed something. They would have to return to a first-world country to receive this support. This in turn would make the time to translate the Bible and teach the people in the village to read it….well, it would just take that much longer.  If the translator needed to get medical help or if his child had education needs, the family would have to leave PNG, go back to their home country and get this.  

Let’s talk for a bit about how PNG is a third world country.  When you think of a third world country, what comes to mind?

(Discussion)
-          One road
-          Stores/restaurants
-          Houses
-          Haus kuks
-          Chickens
-          Clothing/modesty
-          School
-          Raskols/guns/police

Now, even though we weren’t translators, we still had to learn what it was like to be translators….otherwise, how would we know how to help them?  So, every new missionary to PNG was required to go through a 14 week training course.  Think “survivor”.  During this training, we learned the trade language- called Tok Pisin.  That was the easy part.
Scripture-
3:20 Strong bilong God yet i save wok long bel bilong yumi, na dispela strong i winim tru tingting bilong yumi. Olgeta samting yumi save askim God long mekim, ol i no inap tru long mak bilong strong bilong en. 3:21 Olsem na oltaim oltaim ol manmeri bilong sios i mas litimapim nem bilong God long nem bilong Krais Jisas, inap long olgeta taim bihain. I tru.


But, we also learned how to live in the place where there wasn’t any electricity (no refrigeration, no stoves), no other way to wash yourself, your kids, and your clothes than in the river.  Yes, as the bulletin states, I had to bathe in the river…not for the last 2 ½ years, but for close to two months. Also, we learned how to live in a place where there wasn’t any medical care.  What do you look for?  What are the signs that something is really wrong?

So, let me tell you about our village.  You are all here for the stories, right?  And again, please just interrupt me if you have a question or if something is not clear.  I want you to understand, I want to answer questions that you may have….and I want to share what my life was like overseas.




No comments: