Thursday, December 20, 2012

My PNG Experience (Part 4) Final Part


Since this is a women’s event, I would like to close tonight talking a little more about what PNG meant to me….and how I have changed.  Because, I am not the same person who left 2 ½ years ago.

If I could have told you exactly how I would have wanted my life to look for the past 2 plus years…well, if I had answered honestly, I think it would be gone something like this:

I want to go to PNG.  While there, I do not want to have to ask for any more money.   I want it to all just come in.  I want God to work through Caleb so that he can fill this security need and really help the missionaries and people surrounding that center.  I want to have another baby early on…like right after training. I want to learn to cook from scratch.  Before we return, I want Caleb to get a job so that 1) I don’t have to worry at all about how we are going to live when we come back and 2) I won’t feel like I made a mistake going.

Pathetic….I know, but honest and telling.  I trusted God to get me through this experience, but honestly, I went without a lot of hope that it would all be good.

It is humbling and telling to look at these weak requests….because now, as I stand here today, I can testify that God did immeasurably more than I could ever ask or imagine. (Bible Verse)

I went to PNG.  While there, we did have to ask for more money to live.  We had to sell our house and we took a huge loss.  Well, God laid it on a supporter’s heart to pay that loss for us…and as I was telling this supporter how I was struggling with accepting this gift, they rebuked me…saying that I had to stop looking at this money as coming from them and begin seeing it as coming from God.  This was a HUGE lesson to learn.

Caleb did help with the security situation, but the process shaped him more than I ever would have imagined.  

I was unable to get pregnant in the time frame that I wanted, since our kids are 4 years apart instead of 3….but God’s timing was SO much better than my own.  If he had let me get pregnant earlier on, I am not sure we would have been able to complete our 2 ½ year commitment.  Our daughter’s birth was a blessing and not a burden. 


And, all I wanted to learn was to cook from scratch?  

I found my calling in PNG.  I followed Caleb’s calling, but I found mine.  I became a Bible Study leader for high school girls and I stayed with the same girls until they graduated.  I never (in a million years) planned to work with high schoolers, but it brought me so much joy…..and those girls have all graduated and most are now here in the states and their parents are back overseas.  My ministry can continue here in America because I love these girls so much and they need someone here, too.  



I also learned to be more confident.  When I left, I lacked confidence and I was a people pleaser….now, I still struggle with this, but I have spent 2 plus years living free from these struggles. And I didn’t know that was possible.  I have seen another way and I can strive towards bringing that Adrienne back here to the States as well.  

And, talk about God’s provision with Caleb’s job….Caleb didn’t get the job before we left PNG.  But, God allowed me to be able to NOT worry about it….which if you knew me before, this is something unheard of- Adrienne not worrying about money.  But, I began praying before I left PNG….and my prayer was specific.  I just kept feeling like God was saying that we would know something about Caleb’s job before we spoke at church…..this feeling was so strong, I was able to rest in it for the three months we have been back here in the States.  And, everything has worked out better than I ever could have dreamed.  Granted, we have to move….and that is not ideal, but we get to do ministry and work at the same time.

So, when I left, I had my ideas of how I wanted it to go….and along the way, God mixed in some good and some bad….but the end result brings all the glory to Him. Undeniably.

My friend Kelly has a quote I like…she says, “God wants to teach us all something.  He wants to grow us and stretch us.  And, for me, he had to take me to the other side of the world to do that growing and stretching and teaching.”  

I am not sure what is going through your head tonight.  I am not even sure about what you thought I would say tonight.  I guess as I started writing this talk, I decided early on that I wanted to testify and not teach.  I don’t feel like I have a lot of wisdom to offer you tonight.  But, I do have experience.  And, I can testify that I took a risk.  I gave up a lot and followed and idea, a call, to serve overseas.  I grasped that idea that we are to hold loosely to the things of this world and I decided it was time I acted on this belief.  I doubted along the way…and I struggled to believe that any good would come of it at times….but I was blown away by the outcome and my faith was strengthened 100 fold. 

So, I challenge you to live a risky life.  I like this quote by Mark Batterson, “ You will look back longingly on risks not taken, opportunities not seized, and dreams not pursued.  Stop running away from what scares you most and start chasing the God-Ordained opportunities that cross your path.” Take a risk somehow, someway.  Pray about how God wants to grow, stretch and teach you.  Then, wrestle with what that will look like.  Be honest with your wrestling.  Share your outrageous ideas with your friends and see what they think.  Who knows, maybe God is stirring in your heart to go overseas for a time. But maybe there is a risk you can take here. What is your “risk for God”?  

There is something about positioning yourself so that you have to rely on Him.  I don’t know about you, but by relying on him and needing him “more”, He shows up....visibly.  Here in America, I have the tendency to control my life.  I keep it safe and I strive to do what will enable me to need God less.  Does that make sense?  And, if it does make sense, then WHY?  Why do I do this? Why live that way?  

There was something so rich about these past 2 ½ years.  God showed up and was an active, visible part of my life.  Here, it is much harder to see Him.  I don’t know, I could be way off…but I think it has something to do with taking a risk, stepping out of my comfort zone….and I would even venture to say, doing what scares you or makes you uncomfortable.

I didn't share this the night of the talk, but wrote it down, so I will post it now:

I think we have a little more time, can anyone give me some examples of risks they (or we) could take here or overseas?-          
Giving VERY generously and see what happens
-          Offering to take in a family who is struggling?
-          Befriending a person who is hard to be a friend to?
-          Changing your lifestyle….living a cheaper lifestyle so that you can give more
-          Go Overseas
-          Adopt a child who needs a family
-          Forgive someone who has deeply hurt you
-          Go on a mission trip
-          Become involved in High School or Middle School Ministry
-          Ideas???
And so, since I haven’t really done a lot of teaching tonight, I would like to leave you with a sort of benediction, a prayer for you, for me from God’s holy and precious word.
Colossians 3:1-4, 5a; 12-17

 Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is your[a] life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature...
12 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility,gentleness and patience. 13 Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. 14 And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.
15 Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. 16 Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts. 17 And whatever you do,whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

No comments: