There are certain aspects of living here in PNG that are very difficult. One of those has to do with the finances. You might say, “Adrienne, can’t you just budget?” My answer would probably be me making a mean face at you or sticking my tongue out and walking away! It’s just….not…..that…..easy!
It would be really hard to explain all the challenges we face when it comes to our finances, but here are a few I can think of at 11:30pm:
- You have to factor in the exchange rate. Some things here are in US dollars but other things (like items at the store) are in kina (PNG currency). This rate changes. For example, when we moved here a year and a half ago, you could take something that was in kina and divide it by 3. This gave you an amount close to the US dollar. “Oh ok…that is 60 kina, so it is about 20 US dollars.” But lately, our US dollar was been weak compared to other currency. Instead of diving by 3, we have to divide by 2. Now, that 60 kina item is more like 30 US dollars. And, I don’t watch the exchange rate every day. So, this change crept up on us without our knowing.
- Timing- We have some pretty AMAZING and faithful supporters. God has blessed us more than we could have ever expected or imagined. But, the timing of actually getting those funds is a nuisance. I won’t go into too much detail here because it is confusing and at times I still don’t understand it….but this is what it looks like. Let’s say our supporters send us money in the month of September. Well, that money does not get deposited into our PNG Branch account until the month of November. Not October, but November!!
- To complicate things more, our expenses incur in the month we actually incur them. But, we never know how much money we actually have until around the 10-13th of the month. So, for about 13 days, you are spending money, but you are not really sure how much after tax and after deductions money you will be getting for the month.
So, these are just a few examples of the struggles we face. That being said, we have been trying REALLY hard to not be debt with our Branch when we leave for Australia. To do this, we have literally cut out everything imaginable. Knowing everything that is a factor above, I am trying my darn-dest to plan and plan and plan for everything so that we can be in the best possible position financially before we go to Australia.
Then, just when I thought I had everything planned….and everything controlled….I learned that the store would be closed for what is called “stock take” on October 1-5. Do you know what this means? I had planned my menus and groceries through the end of the month. I figured….Caleb could go to the store on Monday and using the next month’s money, he could shop for food for he and Ben (since I will be gone on the youth retreat). Now that the store will be closed, I have to buy October groceries in the month of September.
This may not sound like much….but, when you live on faith-based income….income that varies every month, it is not a good idea to spend more money in one month than absolutely necessary.
I am not even sure if I am explaining this well. I guess it all boils down to the fact that I only had “x” amount of money to spend at the store during the month of September. Then, the last week of the month, I find out that we won’t be able to shop at the store for the first 5 days of October. My September budget just did NOT factor this in. I don’t HAVE September money that I can spend for groceries for the first week of October. But, there is nothing I can do. We need food. So, this month it will look like (on paper) that I exceeded our budget. And, unfortunately, this is just one example of how you can plan and plan and plan…..and then something comes up to screw up your “on paper budget”. For an accountant, this is a very difficult financial environment. It’s like just when I feel like I figure out one piece of the puzzle, another curve ball comes sailing my way.
God is stretching me….and I am learning and growing through this. I don’t mean to complain….I just mean to explain.
No comments:
Post a Comment