Friday, September 9, 2011

Baby Shower!

Last Friday night seems SO long ago.....but it was one of those nights I will remember forever.

Friends here in PNG threw a baby shower/excuse-to-have-THE-party for me and for Kelly (who is due 10 days after me and also planning to go to Australia for the birth).

We invited everyone we could think of. Kelly and I have a lot of the same friends. Imagine 22 ladies ALONE for the night without their husbands or children. It ended up being an overnight party. We have this ONE building here on center that is used to accommodate short term mission teams. There is one central room with couches and tables and a huge kitchen off to one side. Then, picture two long hallways. Each hallway has about 6 rooms and 2 bathrooms. Each room has two bunk beds, except for one room (on each side) that has a queen bed.

Kelly and I each got a room with a queen bed and our friends went all out to decorate the rooms for us!

This was on my door:

If you can't guess already, the theme of my room was that of, "Is it a boy or a girl??" My friends did a really good job of decorating with blue and pink since we still have no clue of the gender.

They took care of every detail! I was greeted with Cheese Balls and Reece's Peanut Butter Cups (and here, these items are NOT cheap!). There was a sign attached to my peanut butter cups which said, "What happens at WA, stays at WA." (The name of the building is the WA Center. And, Caleb doesn't like for me to eat peanut butter because it tends to give me migraines. The girls wanted me to know that they would not tell Caleb if I ate the peanut butter cups that night!)

I love how these flowers are pink AND blue...maybe you can't tell from the picture....but the little round parts in the middle are a light shade of blue. Love it!

Here is a group picture of all our friends. Kelly is seated....she is the first one seated on the left. Christy (seated to the right of Kelly) is also pregnant and will be having her baby in Australia. We will see her and her family for a little bit while we are there...she is about 8 weeks ahead of me. Next to Christy is Lisa....she's pregnant, too!!! I think that Kelly and I counted at least 10 babies that once born will all be in our babies' class for school. Something must be in the water....



The night started off with EATING....and it continued with eating. :) Think AMAZING, homemade sweet and savory food. I didn't get a picture of the food....I will add it later when I get more pictures from my friends. :) (Kristen, remind me that I need pictures from you!)

After we ate a bit, we all gathered together to play funny pregnancy related games. I will post the questions in the next post and you can think about whether or not you would have known the answers! After that, we got to open presents. Again, I think Kristen has pictures of this. I got such cute and adorable little things for the baby. A friend here made homemade bibs and I got some cute clothes. But, the real shocker was that most people contributed to a combined monetary gift. Let's just say that I got Aussie money to spend guilt-free on baby! I should scan the money in. Oh, here, I found a picture of it on-line:



Isn't it pretty?? US money is so boring compared to Aussie money. Plus, the US dollar is worth LESS than the Aussie dollar right now....so this money looks pretty darn good to me. I have to take the time to say that I was blown away by the generosity of our friends!

After gifts, we played another game. I can't really explain the game....but it is a combination of the game pictionary and the game telephone. Let's just say that it produced A LOT of laughs!

After the shower part, the party turned into an overnight. We pulled out new and different food. The Wii got set up and Just Dance and Guitar Hero began. Lots of people sat around and talked.....most of us stayed up until about 2am.

In the morning, we all had the opportunity to sleep in until noon if we liked. I got up around 8am and was welcomed by the smell of breakfast casseroles and cinnamon buns.....and coffee, of course. Again, everything here is homemade and oh-so-delicious! One of the highlights of a party like this is that you get to finish your breakfast and coffee BEFORE it gets cold. At home, most of us are tending to the kids or other things.....so this was a special treat.

I have to admit that it is so sad that the party is over. I had such a good time hanging out with my friends and laughing and talking about everything and anything.

Thank you all for such an amazing night filled with memories I will keep forever.

After the party, I kept thinking to myself.....I am just so happy and blessed to be pregnant. This party helped me to get even more excited about the little life inside of me and the future ahead. I can't wait to meet him or her.

1 comment:

Robin (Swinson) Philbrick said...

sounds like you had a wonderful time--and that you have wonderful friends!