Picture from the road before it started to rain!
It was raining off and on the whole time that we were driving from Ukarumpa to Goroka. But, then, to get to the retreat center, we had to turn right off of the “main” (and only PNG) highway. No one had told me about this side road. Imagine the ultimate 4WD experience without the 4WD. We had about 14 vehicles and only three had 4WD. In fact, one of those vehicles had street tires, so its 4WD capabilities were useless.
During that time, we had to switch vehicles….which made me so sad. We started in a vehicle that had mud tires at least and ended in one of the worst possible vehicles (a hostel van). We were slipping and sliding and getting stuck the entire way. We went into a ditch and bumped into banks on the side of the road. In the end, the Landcruiser towed us the whole way…..and can I just say that being towed down hill is really scary!! I am surprised that we didn’t hit the car in front of us. We were unable to stop at times….it was traumatic to say the least.
Pictures before it got dark:
My girls were GREAT! They pushed us out of a few tricky spots.
I like to think that I taught them everything that I know!
There I am in INSIDE the car!
I do have to say that I pulled the “pregnancy card”. I sat inside the car the whole time. In the beginning, I actually wanted to push but the driver wouldn’t let me. By the end, I was white knuckling the dashboard afraid I was going to die. At one point, the driver asked me if I would drive so that he could get out and push. I said, “Sure, so long as I can keep the parking break on and then release it when I was ready.” He said that would be fine and put the parking brake on so that we could switch places. Wouldn’t you know….the parking brake would NOT hold and the vehicle started to slip backwards. Worst car ever! There was no way we were going to be able to switch places.
The Land Cruiser was AMAZING! We should have been filming all that it could do. Talk about commercial material. I have never been more impressed with a single vehicle than that day!
Pictures of the ONLY reason we made it up that hill! Above- THE Land Cruiser and Below- Our Driver!
Miraculously, one by one, every vehicle in our party made it to the retreat center. When I got out of the car, I went around to the other sponsors/parents and said, “I will never let MY children go to Encounter! You all are nuts!”
(Kelsey, Me, Eileen, Stephanie, Leslie, Emma and Kaela)
As with any retreat, there were some real break-throughs. I think that our Bible Study group is going to be closer and more real because of this experience. I am praying that God would continue to use me in their lives. It is an honor to be trusted by them….and I thank God for this experience.
The only other thing worth mentioning about the retreat was that Kelly (a college friend who lives here in PNG) and I were asked to be the MC’s for this year’s Encounter Talent Night. My next post will be all about that…(In other words.....let the embarrassment begin.....)


No comments:
Post a Comment