Tuesday, May 25, 2010

What Did You Do On saturday Night?

I’m a little embarrassed about the puppet show I watched….but the rest of the night was great.  I went to a Ladies’ “Bung”, or gathering in Tok Pisin.  All the ladies of neighboring villages were invited.  It was a great night…getting to know new people!

 

The night started with a game of volleyball…where I realized that I still have some skills!  Then, we all ate dinner (that we brought ourselves).  I was able to see all my PNG friends from my weekly Bible Study…and I got to actually talk to some of the employees that work here on center.  Then, there was a puppet show.  I don’t want to talk about it!  Then, we grabbed some coffee and sweet “kai” (food in Tok Pisin is kaikai).  Next, we watched a movie called “The Number 1 Ladies Detective Agency” which is based on 4 books (I think) that were written about Botswana…and it is filmed there.  I was actually surprised…the movie was pretty good…and I know that some of the PNG ladies here could relate with the characters. 

 

Then, the HIGHLIGHT of my evening had to be the traditional dance.  The ladies put together a dance and used a song in “tok ples” (their own heart language).  I talked to the store cashier, Teting (on the left in the picture) and she said she would teach me and my German friends (and Argentina friend) all the moves….and the meaning behind the words.  She told me that traditionally, these songs were for the spirits or meant for evil….but, there are now Christian singers (in their Tok Ples) who have used what was meant for bad and used it touch many with their lyrics.  Anyway…stay posted…I WILL learn a traditional singsing (song and dance number) one day!

1 comment:

Kerry said...

adrienne - look at your HAIR it's so LONG! i love it. can we seriously skype soon? that would be so great.