When we moved to Ukarumpa, we had a fellowship family who “took us under their wing”. They rented a car so that we could get around center easily, they had us over for dinner, they answered all our questions, etc, etc. Turns out, the family that signed up to be our fellowship family was THE BEST fellowship we could have ever asked for. The husband has been filling in for the security job that Caleb is now doing AND he and his wife are translators that have been around for some time. They have a son who is 8 and a daughter who is 3. Anyway…they have been a huge blessing and a huge answer to prayer.
That being said, they invited us over to watch Rugby tonight. This was my first time watching a rugby game which I think is a cross between American Football, Soccer, Hockey and Wrestling (Caleb thinks it is part Prison Fighting, too). While we watched this, we ate Buffalo wings!!! I can’t even remember the last time I ate these! YUM! They were hot, too…the way we like them. I remember talking about Buffalo Wings in Tok Pisin to a Papua New Guinean and an Australian. Both got the biggest laugh because they didn’t understand WHY we would call them “buffalo” wings when they were chicken! They kept saying they didn’t know that buffalos had wings. Try explaining that in Tok Pisin….well, I tried….they still laughed.
I really enjoyed watching Rugby (And Dad, I know you think Soccer is boring…but I bet you would like Rugby!) I have decided to cheer for a team called “Storm”. The rumor is, they cheated their way for so long but finally got caught. Australia has a salary-cap. And they were caught to be 1.7 million dollars above this cap…paying their players….hence they had a really good team. So, they are not allowed to score any points or go to the play-offs or championship. Teams are still playing them, but they do not get any points if they win. So, I decided to become a fan of this team….I don’t know why! I guess I think it would be fun to cheer for a team that has nothing to lose…..and can win, but not really.
World Cup Soccer- South Africa is coming soon. We have been trying to see what kind of interest there is here on center. We are trying to arrange it so that we can either watch the games live (they will come on at 9:30 PM, 12 AM or 4:30AM here…ugh!). We already have permission to watch or tape the games in the High School. I am envisioning this month long party at our house….but we don’t have a tv, projector….or anything to watch it on. Speaking of that, do you work for a company who wants to donate a projector to Wycliffe (and designate that it goes to us) to get a tax deduction? Anyway, we have been told that the local TV station…actually, PNG only gets ONE station….we heard that they plan to show all 64 games either live or recorded. So, we are making plans…hopefully it will turn out.
Tomorrow, Caleb is going on a business trip to Port Moresby (the capital). Please pray for him as he will be traveling for the next 3 days. Also, pray for me as I try potty-training with Ben. I plan to try it for the next two days. If he still does not seem to get it, then we will wait a month and try again!
1 comment:
When I tried the first time to potty train RyRy he did good with #1 but would not go #2 on the potty...he held it for 5 days! After about 2 months of trying I talked to his ped and we decided to wait a little while before trying the whole potty thing again. When we felt that he was ready he was so easy to train, he was potty trained in two days! I know at times it can be hard and you feel like just leaving them in diapers forever! I will be praying that Ben will be easy to potty train and if it does take some time just remember that he will get it some day!
Post a Comment