Wednesday, May 26, 2010

I am a Potty Training Failure...

Yes…I want you all to feel bad for me.  Even if you do not feel bad for me….at the very least, no laughs and no “I told you so’s”.

 

I had this GRAND idea that when Caleb went out of town for the next three days, I would try to potty train Ben.  I lasted 2 hours.  After he peed on the floor twice and then on OUR BED….I decided that this just was not the time.  He just screams and acts petrified of the thought of going.  I am currently washing my comforter and am over the effort. 

 

I feel like such a failure though….I look back at all that we have been through…moving, raising financial support, living in a village without plumbing or electricity….and I can’t help but think that it all pales compared to training my son to go in the pot!

 

Feel sorry for me….tell m e that it is ok and that one day he WILL be potty trained…tell me that I am not a bad mom! =0)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Do NOT feel bad for yourself. It is a process and really you're teaching him nothing, just encouraging him as he develops the ability. He's still young and he may need some more time. A co-worker told me that until their unconfortable in wet underwear, your're going nowhere (he has 3 kids). That was so true with Katherine, the first time we tried she could have cared less that her pants were wet. Around two and a half we tried again and she HATED the wet pants feeling. We were off and running. Also, accidents are normal, you're going to have a TON of them before he gets where he's supposed to go. One of my friends set a timer, kid had to sit on the potty every time it went off.

Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

Definitely do not beat yourself up over this. Similar to the other comments I have seen, I tried to potty train Wyatt at 2 and it was a disaster. He was almost 3 by the time he decided he was ready. I must say there have really only been a few accidents but the key was surely waiting until he was ready and not forcing my timeline on him! That being said good luck and it will be fine!
Kristin

andiewade said...

Not for every boy, but as a general rule they rain later. I'm not even thinking about it for another couple months because we have some travelling coming up. The frustrating thing is that even after they know how to make it to the potty there will still be accidents! It's all just a season... Right?? :)

LoveLladro said...

I am a little late here but please don't feel bad! I think it's more of a success that you let it go when you knew it wasn't the right time. Imagine trying to push through that and causing more frustration and pain for you both. Kudos to being smart!!!

Just go slow... keep talking about it... work up to it. We even left a potty out in the living room just to look at and get to know.

Follow your instincts and you will both be fine! And don't worry... he won't be going to college in diapers... it will happen eventually ;~)