Monday, March 18, 2013

Saying "Good-Bye"...to the East Coast....Again...

When we left for PNG, it was sad.  It was hard.  But, it was something we had spent a year preparing for....

When I packed up the kids and left NC for Colorado....it was "in a sense" even more difficult.  I hesitate to write that, because what could be harder than selling your things, quitting your jobs and doing volunteer work in a 3rd world country??  But, it kind of was harder!!  This time, we had no idea when we might be back.  Also, Caleb was supposed to be there with me.....he wasn't able to really say his good-bye's as planned....because he just stayed in Colorado and started work...

Needless to say, this time was bittersweet.  I got to stay with David and Amy...they were amazing hosts....and I felt like I was really able to enjoy my time and have a bit of closure.....

Here are some pictures from Raleigh....

I already posted my talk that I gave at the women's event at our church.  Our friends Mike and Hollis were a God-sent.....and Mike offered to hold my baby while I talked.  She loved Mike so much.  Here is a picture of when Mike and Hollis watched her at church in the nursery.....and it was here that they offered to watch her during my talk....


I love this look because my daughter is now OBSESSED with iPhones.....and to think, there is where it all started!!


We took a day trip to Marbles with my friend Amy and her son (Ben's BFF) John:








And, I just had to post pictures of Mel with her "twin".  Both girls were born on the same day.....now, if only Mel's twin Jocelyn would share some of that hair!!

 




After our time in Raleigh, we packed up our Trooper and headed out to the beach to say "Good-Bye" to Beach Grammy and Uncle Scott....


At this point, we knew that in a couple of days, my dad would be driving my Trooper to Charlotte to pick us up and begin our trip out West.  Ben was starting to really have a hard time.  Without Caleb around, he began to just push every boundary to see if I would cave.  I remember going into this McDonald's and thinking, "I am nuts to think that this drive was a good idea...."  My dad and stepmother were very encouraging....and it was a good (but too short) visit.

On a side note....a funny side note....Ben still talks about the time his Sprite exploded in McDonald's.  He was acting up...being a little boy....and when he got his Sprite, he started to blow through the straw as hard as he could.  He blew so hard that he blew the top of the soda cup straight off and completely covered me with Sprite.  I was furious....I think steam was actually coming out of my ears.  My dad was silent.  My stepmom was silent.  Mel was oblivious.  I took one look at Ben who looked so scared he might actually pee his pants.....and I could do nothing but laugh.  It was the kind of laugh where you wanted to sob, too....but it was funny....and it was memorable.

I also ought to mention that Caleb did not know about this trip to Wilmington.  You see, his friend Paul picked me and the kids up from Wilmington and then drove us to Charleston, SC for Caleb's brother's wedding.  So, this whole time, I was so afraid that Caleb would find out and it would ruin the surprise.  He kept asking for me to send pictures of the kids....and I had to send them in a way that he wouldn't be able to tell where I was.  So, here is a picture of Mel that I sent to him.  Notice how you can't tell that we are in a hotel room....on our way to meet Caleb and surprise him!!





No comments: