Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Let the Road Trip Begin....

Sigh....our road trip....isn't there a book that starts with something like, "It was the best of times.  It was the worst of time..."  THAT is how I THOUGHT this trip was going to be.  And, maybe it was....but now that so much time has passed, I cannot help but think back with fond memories of this time.  All in all, the kids were GREAT.  Dad and I felt rested and helped each other out when it came to driving.  Or course, we were all ready to be finished with being in a car by the time we hit Fort Collins....but this is one trip I will never forget.

Thank you, Dad, for your willingness to put up with our crazy. :)  You made the trip so fun and we literally could not have done it without you!

Dad met us at the Chick Fil-a in Monroe, NC.  Ben got to run around in the play place....we all got a good breakfast (love me some Chick Fil-a).....and then we were off....

Don't they all look so happy....hahaha.....



My dad was the "best grandpa in the world" when Ben realized he brought along a mini DVD player for the trip!!



Look how cute Mel looks....and how AWAKE she seems...haha....I really can't remember her being spicy or naughty this trip.  She was excited to be around Beach Grandpa!! Having him there was new and different and exciting for her (and the rest of us, too).


We drove from NC to Nashville, TN the first day.  My dad used to live in Gallatin, TN when I was in high school.  I have very fond memories of my time in TN.....we thought it would be best to stop there since we knew the area.  But, since we were so close, we just had to swing by the old neighborhood and have a look at the house my dad and stepmom used to own.  


My dad got a picture of his house, but I took a picture of this house.....nearby neighbors who weren't in town when we drove through....it would have been so good to have seen them!


The first dinner we ate at The Rainforest Cafe.  It was a huge hit with the kids.  Ben had never been to one before and Mel.....well, she couldn't get enough...


Ben had lots of highs and lots of lows.  I just love this picture below.....he makes me laugh!


The next day, we drove from Nashville, Tennessee to Topeka, Kansas.  Mel was awfully quiet....and we soon found out why.  She had found Ben's Cheetos and was having a party!


Dad and I both just wanted to drive and get there.....we had talked about stopping at the St.Louis arch, but decided against it.  My dad was so afraid we were going to miss a good picture, I probably took a dozen with each phone- his and mine.  We had a good laugh about how the arch just kept getting closer and closer.  I only kept a couple pictures.  There were too many misses...



Can't remember where we ate for lunch this day.  But, I am pretty sure it was Chick Fil-a again!  Mel was really "comfortable"- can't you tell?


Definitely was Chick Fil-A


Then, it all started to get really FLAT...

That night, we had planned to eat at the Crayola Cafe, but that turned out to be a really dumb idea.  NO ONE was there.  It was a bit creepy.  We found a Panera and all had a good meal before getting back on the road to drive and drive and drive and drive....


That night, Ben was starting to really act up.  In Nashville, he was tired and went right to bed.  But, in Topeka, he got ready for bed kicking and screaming....I had to feed Mel....when I left the room, Ben was grumpy and mad and talking back to my dad.  15 minutes later, when I returned, he was in his bed, covers pulled over his head and eyes closed tightly....

Dad and I had a good silent laugh as I mouthed to him, "What did you say???"  It was quite comical to see my dad lay down the law and for Ben to fall right into compliance. :)

The last day was the longest....

I like these pictures because it shows how moody Ben was.  Here he is after lunch.  Both he and Beach Grandpa had seen better days....


And, here they are after Beach Grampa's brilliant idea to get ice cream:


Thankfully, Ben fell asleep for the last part of the drive to Fort Collins, CO.



It was so good to get out of the car and see Caleb!  Mel enjoyed hitting up Target for some odds and ends....and to be in a cart instead of a car....


I spent some time unpacking....and look what I found in the cabinet:



Dad stayed the night and then flew home the next day.  We took him to Lucille's, a New Orleans style breakfast restaurant here in town.  It was a great meal!  It was sad to see him leave, but I am so happy that he was able to make this trip with me.....memories for life moments make me smile...and this was one of those!



No comments: