Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving!

It is always hard to be away from family for the holidays. I have so many good memories of Thanksgiving Day with them. This year, it was still hard to be apart even though we are in Australia. We are really looking forward to the time when we can be with our family for the holidays again.

I am sucker for holidays. I am not the kind of person who could just look at the calendar and say, "Oh well, it's Thanksgiving and we are in Australia where they do not celebrate that. Let's go out for sushi instead!" If there is anything (however small) that I can do to keep our holiday traditions in tact....well, you better believe that I will try hard to do it.

Thankfully, there are a lot of friends here in Cairns now. Our home "town" in PNG is kind of like a family. It is amazing how close you can get to people so fast. So, even though we were all separated from family and close friends, we decided to make the most of it and spend Thanksgiving together. It was really great!

So, we planned a thanksgiving dinner. I paid $20 for a turkey (in PNG and Turkey costs at least 3 times that amount, I think.....so, you just don't buy turkeys in PNG!) I made green bean casserole and gravy. We also had mashed potatoes, fresh bread, cranberry sauce, apple pie and cheesecake.

I woke up this morning feeling nauseous. Also, the smell of the turkey cooking was just making it worse. I was starting to get nervous that I wasn't even going to want to eat any of the food we had all made. But, when 12pm rolled around, I was ready to eat and the food was
A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!! It was so so so so GOOD! Oh turkey, how I have missed you!

Oh....and can I just say that I am ready for Christmas now! I found a $5 Christmas tree at Kmart and spent $5 for lights and $1 for a star. I brought our own ornaments, stockings and tree skirt that we used last year in PNG. I am the type of person who is already listening to Christmas music.....

Typically, as soon as Thanksgiving is over, the Christmas decor comes out. I was thinking that we would spend this week-end setting up Christmas but now I am thinking that it would be better to wait until after Caleb's test. So, not this coming week-end, but NEXT week-end, we will set it all up and then countdown until Caleb's mom gets here. The next couple weeks are going to be so busy and exciting for us.

Anyway, back to Thanksgiving....


Oh, Ben. He's going through that phase where he doesn't know how to smile. :)


The spread:




Caleb is always smiling when an event revolves around food:

Ben with his friends:


Happy Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

Susan Thompkins said...

I can't get over how much food is on Ben's plate (especially when you look at the other children's plates). Did he eat all of that?

Adrienne said...

Ben's a good eater! I think he left some of the green bean casserole, but he ate almost everything on the plate. :)