Friday, May 20, 2011

My Friend Elvira

I mentioned a while back that I am a part of a Ladies Bible Study here in PNG on Wednesday nights. For a very long time, I was the only American in the group. Now, though, that group has grown.

Here is a picture from when I first arrived and started attending this amazing group.



And, here is a picture of how the group has grown in numbers.



I love meeting with these girls....with volleyball season, I stopped going for a few weeks. Now that volleyball is over, I am really looking forward to going back and re-connecting with these ladies.

I get caught up in thinking about myself and what I am here to do. It is moments when I get to share with these amazing ladies (who are literally from all over the world) that I am reminded that God brought me to PNG to change me.

This international atmosphere is not always easy, though. I have to constantly remind my American self to shut up more and to listen more. I have this fear of silence....and I like to fill it with silly talking. But, this group is teaching me so much about myself and alternate ways to live. It is stretching me, growing me and changing me forever.

Sometimes I wish that I had been exposed to more cultures and more people growing up. I am learning how "little" my life is in America when it comes to everything else that is going on all over the world.

This group is made up of people who come and go often. Some are language surveyors and others are translators. That means that the ladies who attend change from week to week, month to month.

Here is some exciting news. Our organization just featured one of my close friends in a video on YouTube. I am excited that I get to share a little bit of Elvira with you all! Elvira lives across the street from us. She also attends this Wednesday night group. She is such an amazing person and I enjoy every Wednesday night that I get to see her. She shares her story about what it is like to live and work here in PNG. I hope you will take the time to click here and listen to her story! You never know, God might be tugging on your heart and calling you to follow her lead.....

Here is the link, too, just in case: http://www.youtube.com/user/wycliffecanada. I think that when I try and post a link, you are unable to see it. I'm working on that....

No comments: