Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Anniversary Coming....

Our anniversary is this Sunday, May 29th. Come Monday, we will have been married 7 years! :) I have to admit that there is not much to do in Papua New Guinea to celebrate. Actually, maybe I shouldn't say it that way. Instead, let me say this- as with most things, you have to be very creative to celebrate here.

Caleb and I decided that we are going to have an Olive Garden night.....I have to admit, Olive Garden would not be my first choice if we were back in the States. I would probably choose the 42nd Street Oyster Bar or Sushi Blues or 518 West. But, I found this "Insider's Recipes" Cookbook, and it got me craving Olive Garden's salad dressing. Here is what our menu will look something like:

Appetizer:
Fried Mozzarella
Fresh Homemade Bread to dip in olive oil and other seasonings
Fresh Salad (all veggies fresh from market) with Olive Garden's or Sabatino's House Dressing

Main Course:
Olive Garden's Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo

Dessert:
Tiramisu

Drinks:
Sparkling Apple Grape Juice

We are going to feed Ben early, then put him to bed early. As nice as this dinner sounds in blog form, the sad thing is that we have to make it all ourselves. I have friends here from Argentina who have tried to explain that the cooking part is supposed to be the fun part. We will see....I am going to try and keep a good attitude about cooking everything from scratch....even though the city girl in me would just LOVE to go out to eat instead.

But, don't feel sorry for me.....I am in exactly the place that God has called me to be....serving in a once in a lifetime way. I beyond blessed by God, our family and our friends/supporters.....

Now...I have to go and finish making my bagels....

2 comments:

The Renfrows said...

Happy Anniversary! We'll be married 8 years on the 31st! I'm praying for you guys! I wish we could take you out to dinner for our anniversaries :)
Your meal sounds delicious!

Jillian said...

Happy Anniversary to you two! And Mark Bittman agrees with your Argentine friends...he calls it the "Zen of Cooking." :) "There is a state that experienced cooks enter, and it's not necessarily one of inebriation (though that's possible too, given that the wine is always handy.) Being close to real food, peeling, chopping, browning, stirring, tasting...these elemental routine tasks become second nature with practice. You don't have to think a tremendous amount to cook, but you do have to be in one place, calm and concentrated. And when you do that enough, you find yourself comfortable, you find yourself enjoying it...As the Zen saying might go,"When you're washing the dishes, wash the dishes." Which means simply this: If you get into cooking, you'll love it and find it meaningful work. And then you won't question the time spent at all." I'm not experienced enough yet to be "calm" in the kitchen, but I guess practice makes perfect. ;) Hope your dinner turns out great and that y'all have fun even if it doesn't! :)