Saturday, May 14, 2011

Caleb Here....








One of the more interesting things about SIL, is that you get to know pilots! These guys are top-notch aviators. They have to be because they fly in some of the most challenging conditions you can imagine!
Our friend Gavin is a helicopter pilot. Recently, SIL was contracted to do some cargo runs for a gold mine in the mountains near the city of Goroka. This meant that the helicopter would be over-nighting in a place where I regularly go for work. So, I made up an excuse to go to Goroka, and I hitched a ride!
Jeff and Kristin went with Gavin and his wife Carrie and I. They were headed to Goroka for a dental appointment with the New Tribes Mission dentist.
We all loaded up on a Tuesday, had a pleasant 30 min. flight, and landed in Goroka, a town 2 ½ hours away by car! We spent the night at the Christian Radio Mission Fellowship guest house, did a little shopping, ate out a few times, met some friends, and flew back home on Wednesday about noon.
Short travel time, great views (PNG is amazing from the air!), a totally new flying experience, and never once did I have to worry about the dangerous roads, bad guys, or travel fatigue! I recommend a helicopter flight over a car any day! Of course it helps when you don’t have to pay for it…

No comments: