Saturday, July 9, 2011

Welcome to Our Life Lately…..

(You might want to read the post before this one first!)

It all started last week-end, I forgot to buy diapers at the store. And, we live in a place that only has one store which is closed on the week-ends. I didn’t realize I was out of diapers until 9pm, so I didn’t feel like calling friends and asking to borrow some. We decided to just TRY potty training at night….

It has been comical to say the least! Every night it is this big production to get Ben to pee. We willingly pees around 8pm when he first goes to bed. Then, sometime between 10pm and 12am when we go to bed, we try and wake him up to try again.
Have you ever tried waking up a sleeping child? It is SO funny! It has been a week now since we began this whole ordeal. For the first 5 days, every other night he would wet his bed. One night was a success, the next night he peed all over the bed. Every night for the first 5 days, he would not go to the bathroom when we woke him up when we headed to bed. I just KNEW that if we could get him to go around 11pm, he would stay dry overnight….we just got not get the child to actually pee then.

Ben is too heavy for me to lift right now, so Caleb would go in around 11pm and pick him up. Ben’s eyes were open so he actually looked awake. We were wrong. Eventually, he would wake up, but it was only after Caleb had stood him up, pulled down his pants and was telling him to try. I don’t know about you, but I would freak out a bit, if when I “came to”, this is what was happening.

I remember one night I said, “Caleb, I think you should wake him up more before he gets to the toilet. Caleb said, “He is awake.” He placed Ben on the floor and Ben just fell over. It was so funny!

Another time, I woke Ben up in his room. He walked straight past the bathroom and into a doorknob. He didn’t even cry or anything…..he was still so out!
My favorite time was when Caleb woke him up and Ben walked into the bathroom and just fell on the floor. Love this child!

The last three nights have been successful, though. Ben has peed all three nights before going to bed and then again before we go to bed. I set my alarm for around 6:30am or 7am, then I wake him up and he goes again. We figured out that the key is to wake him up enough in his room so that he actually does everything on his own. He walks to the bathroom (I literally walk behind him with my hands to the side of his head to make sure he doesn’t bump into things. He is so wobbly!) Then, he shuts the bathroom door himself and goes.

I am a little nervous about tonight, though. Last night was trickier. He did not want to go and he got pretty upset about it. I just kept telling him that he had to TRY….even if he could not go, I just wanted him to try. Well, the boy eventually tried, but he got a chocolate chip cookie and milk to dip it in! It was midnight and we were sitting around this little child as he called all the shots. Tonight will be a real test as to whether or not he really has the hang of this…..

No comments: