Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Ben: “Pepper Spray Burns!!!!”

The answer is “Yes”. Ben pepper sprayed himself. What a traumatic experience for us all.

I was napping, when I heard the blood curdling screams coming from my son. Caleb soon started yelling for me to come out and help. I was still groggy and I had no idea if I was going to come out and see blood everywhere or what. The idea of Ben getting a hold of the pepper spray did not cross my mind.

I ran into the bathroom to find Caleb about to shove Ben’s head into water. Instead, we lapped it up with our hands and doused his eyes out. Ben had this “chicken with his head cut off” dance. He would run around, rubbing his eyes raw, screaming while bumping into things. He would then come back to the sink, get water in his eyes, then start the dance all over again. This lasted for at least 30 minutes. He kept wanting to be soothed or comforted, but it burned so badly, he could not sit still long enough for that. He screamed the entire time this was happening.

I asked Caleb if we needed to call the Clinic in case of an allergic reaction or something. But, Caleb said, “Well, he’s breathing, so he’s fine.” Great!

After Ben started to calm down a bit, Caleb remembered that standing in front of a fan could give relief. Here are pictures of Ben in front of a fan. Then, when he started to cry less, we moved him to his bed where he slept with the fan on his face and washcloth on his sore rubbed-raw cheeks. Poor thing slept for 4 hours straight.

When I asked him later if he was ok, he said, “Pepper spray is bad. Pepper spray burns. I don’t like pepper spray at all.”


Poor Ben!


Caleb cleaning up the mess on the ceiling.


Finally calm, but still burning....


Two days later, Ben has these marks under his eyes where he rubbed the skin raw.

No comments: