Yesterday, I went with my soccer team to the National Sports Institute (NSI) for a Sports Tournament.
The day did not start well! I had dropped my phone the day before and when I reset the time, I set the phone for 3AM instead of 3PM. This meant that my alarm did NOT go off the morning of the tournament. We were supposed to leave at 6:30am…..I woke up at 6:45am! I got ready in record time….I think in like 30 seconds. Caleb got up, too, and was all ready to give me a ride on the motorcycle…..when Ben awoke. We realized that we would have to drag him along, too…..and he kept crying, but “I want my underwear. I want to get dressed. I want to eat breakfast.” He was so confused. The three of us then rode to the high school on Caleb’s motorcycle (well, the one he is borrowing). I looked really funny showing up later WITH a cup of coffee on the back of the bike. Classic.
I made it there before the bus pulled away…..my face the brightest color of red (I’m sure). The Sports Master of the High School made a comment like, “Now that Adrienne is here, let’s go ahead and pray then leave.” J Everyone had a good laugh at my expense! It’s ok….I’m a good sport! Not to mention I KNEW something like this was bound to happen.
When we arrived at the tournament, we realized that our team was playing first. There were 8 teams total and two different pools/brackets. The winner of the two brackets would then play in the championship game.
Our team started REALLY strong! Sam (the head coach) and I made the decision to switch one of our defensive players, Jo, up as a forward….and one of our offensive players, Abby, back as a defender. It paid off and the girls scored in the first 3 minutes. They then scored again 5 minutes later! They won their first game 2-0. And, can I just say that the refs were GREAT! That was a huge answer to my prayers!
The second team was by far the hardest team that we would be playing in this bracket. Our girls were playing SO much better than the week-end before. They were moving the ball well and beating the other players to the ball. Having Abby in the back really strengthened our defense because all of our defensive players were able to concentrate on clearing the ball actually to someone. Our defenders set up so many offensive attacks with quality passes and amazing throw in’s and direct kicks! Our right halfback took a direct kick and put us up 1-0 with a beautiful upper 90 shot. We dominated the game, but in the end, the other team was able to tie the game because one of our defenders fell down. It was unfortunate, but soccer is a team sport. We could have easily scored again, but just couldn’t finish.
We then had to sit through two games…..knowing that we would play last. The two worst teams in the bracket played each other. The game ended and we still sat pretty in first. Then, the team we tied played the team that we played first and beat them 3-0. This was not good. It meant that we needed to win our last game 3-0 to guarantee a win. When we played our last game, we won 2-0. At this point (I’ll admit), I thought we were going home.
After figuring goal differential and total points in our bracket, there was a complete TIE for first for us and the team we played second. This meant there would be a shoot out to determine who would play in the championship.
The shoot out was nerve wracking but a lot of fun to watch. Our goalie was AMAZING! We won the shoot out 2-1.
Unfortunately, there are times for these kids when they make it all the way to the championship but then have to forfeit the game because it is too late in the day. We all have a 2 hour drive home and cannot drive in PNG after dark. Also, to complicate things more, 5 of our starters are involved in the school play with a performance the same night as the tournament. We convinced the other team to play a shortened game with 15 minute halves.
The championship game was really great! Our girls played the same team that they played last week-end….who had practically destroyed us then! The end score was 1-0 (the other team winning), but the score does not do the game any justice. The goal the other team made resulted from a direct kick outside the box. Our goalie stopped the ball but dropped it accidently and then did not fall on the ball. The other team was in the right place to finish it. Aside from that shot, the other team did not have ANY other quality shots on goal! Our 5 starters had to leave after the first half, and I was amazed that our team still held the score. Not only did they defend, but the ball was on the other team’s half of the field for the entire second half! I’m not exaggerating. We had opportunity after opportunity, but just could not finish.
So, all in all, it was a really great day! I am so happy that the girls had such a better tournament than the last one. We were all smiles when we left……hope you enjoy the pictures. I didn’t get many good ones…..I am hoping that other people will post their soon so I can share them with you.
No comments:
Post a Comment