Thursday, March 10, 2011

Bible Study....

Last night, we hosted Bible Study.  There is a group of 6-7 couples (depending on who is in the village or who is back in America on furlough) in our group who meet weekly for Bible Study. Usually we go through a chapter of the Bible and discuss the application, basic verse, cross reference and difficult verse (ABCD). We decided to take a break from that for a time and watched a Mark Driscoll video sermon on the book of Ruth. 

 

It really got us all thinking…

 

We just looked at the first half of the first chapter, but there was so much to unpack and discuss.

 

Throughout the sermon, we would pause it and discuss it.

 

Afterwards, a friend e-mailed this quote which I want to share here…..

 

"How easy it is to assume that I should be comfortable. How quickly I can start to expect easy and hassle-free ministry. But I tell missionaries just the opposite. Life is war. Life is stress: the language is stress; the culture is stress; the food is stress; the kids' education is stress; relationships are stress. Get ready for incarnation and crucifixion."

- John Piper

 

I look forward to discussing this quote with Caleb tonight at dinner.  This is the story of our life over here.  Even though everything is stressful…..all these areas feel like a war at times….there is this understanding behind it all that it is for my good.  God is changing me…..and my prayer is that these changes in my would ultimately bring Him glory…..

 

No comments: