Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Ooops...

So, we have been having some computer trouble.  That being the case, we have been sending e-mails to post to our account, but have not been checking to see if they are actually posting.  So, this is what we wrote before.

 

August 4:

We are back from a 3 day trip to Lae.  It is a coastal "town" of PNG.....the place I went back in May for Lae in a Dae.

 

Let's just say that we will not be going back to Lae ANY time soon.  And, if I go back, personally, I would like for go for only one day!

 

The trip started off with Benjamin getting car sick 3 different times in the first 30 minutes.  We had a full van of people catching rides with us into town....so a puking kid is no fun to begin with....then add the 7 plus other people in the van and it makes for a bad start to anyone's morning.  The 3 hour car drive was long and bumpy.  The roads here are ROUGH.  On a side note, every time we get in a car, we have to pray for safety.  You just never know what you might encounter as you drive.  

 

By the time we got to Lae, it was all work for Caleb.  He met with the director of Security for the guard company that he oversees here.  This included probably one of the only highlights of the trip....a free meal at a decent place to eat.  It rained the whole time....so we couldn't even swim in the pool.  That night, I got a migraine and apparently threw my neck all out of whack....so I was throwing up and frankly not much fun to be around.  We shared a flat with friends....so, I kept them up all night, too.  Nice!

 

The next day, I was useless...could not go out because of the lingering migraine.  Poor Caleb had to shuffle work and shopping that day.  That night, we all ate pizza which tasted like fish.  Gross!

 

On Sunday, I was feeling a bit better....and I HAD to go shopping for meat.  It is much cheaper to get certain things in Lae.  Let's just say that the shelves were BARE. I think I cried in FoodMart because there was NO crocodile to buy.  Yes, we actually eat crocodile here.   I did manage to score a few good deals....but honestly, it would have been better if we had just stayed "home".

 

We really enjoyed our time with our friends, but that was about it.  My neck was all crazy out of place the night we returned.  Luckily, Ben did not throw up on the ride back.

 

Caleb and I have been encouraged time and time again....that due to the stress and pressure of his job, we should try to get "off center" as much as possible (within reason).  The cost of the vehicle was covered this trip, so we thought, "Why not?"  But, we have learned that a vacation here is just NOT the same as a vacation in the States.  The whole experience and the actual "just getting there" is work in and of itself.  We will have to wait until we can work it out to go for longer, I guess. 

 

 

August 8:

It has been brought to my attention that we have not done a very good job of posting lately.  After that horrid trip to Lae, we have been a bit lazy with the posts and pictures.  AND...to top it off, my computer is being all funky and will not connect to the internet.  So, I have been using Caleb's computer....which I don't like very much....and try to use as little as possible.

 

So...it is Sunday morning here....stay tuned...

 

 

No comments: