Thursday, February 13, 2014

Happy New Year! Welcome, 2014!!!

If you know us, then you know we love New Year's parties!  It goes back to my childhood....growing up with two sets of families, Thanksgivings and Christmases were memorable and great, but always different depending on who I was with.  For New Years, my family never had plans....and starting in High School, I either hosted a party or went to a party every year.  My friend Loria lived in a house, right on the Chesapeake......and it was always the perfect spot for a party. 

Caleb joined in on this tradition when we started dating.....and then when we married....even when we lived overseas.....so it ONLY seemed right for us to host one this year.

That being said, we don't have the best house for a LARGE winter party.  Come the summer, we have an excellent yard and heaps of space.  But, not so much during the winter.  So, we had to get creative!

We chose a Fire and Ice theme and let guests come dressed however they wanted to!  One friend even came in these awesome fire embroidered pants.  LOVE!

The reason for the Fire & Ice theme?  We actually have quite a few friends who have lived in Alaska and then another group of friends from Papua New Guinea. It was hard to not be able to invite everyone, but we thought this was a great compromise.

That being said, I am already dreaming up a 4th of July party to host here with steel wool. :)

Now I'll let the pics do the talking....





We were having so much fun, I never once pulled out the camera to take a picture.  I wish I had taken more pictures of the decor.  When you walked into the house, you entered the Equator.  If you went downstairs, you were in down south.  We had spicy foods, appetizers, margaritas, YUM!  If you chose to go north (upstairs), you were surrounded by twinkling lights and snowflakes.....there you could eat chili, enjoy the mashed potato bar, ice cream, hot mulled cider, Alaskan drinks, etc.

At 10pm, we had a tribal initiation for all our wild and crazy friends.  It was hilarious.  Caleb wore PNG attire (more than just a butt flap, though)....and sounded the didgeridoo.   I will let your imagination run wild, but imagine face paint, tiki torches, stuffed animals, the fire & ice queen, dancing and more dancing. :)  Hilarious!

I have a tradition.....ever since Ben was born (and now Mel), I've taken a picture of them at midnight.  The idea is that one of these days, they will be awake.  But, for now, I get to watch them grow up. :)  And, I get to capture those cute little sleeping moments.  Granted, the poor kids! No matter where they are, I turn on every light in the room and use the flash.....they haven't woken up yet, though!  You can follow the links to see their pictures from years prior.....


I hope you all had a fabulous New Years......we feel so blessed to have such a great community here in Colorado! 

2013-



No comments: