Saturday, August 20, 2011

Due Date- Early or Late?

A lot of people here have been asking me, "Did you have Ben before or after your due date?"

This question has been hard to answer because with Ben, I had an ultrasound at 6 weeks pregnant. I was told that the earlier the ultrasound, the more accurate the due date. So, we just always used what that ultrasound said when we told people our due date. The ultrasound predicted December 31st and Ben was born on the 28th.

For this one, I have been dying to know the answer to that question....So, I decided to do something about it.

It was 11:30pm when I got this idea. I thought, "I am going to call my doctor's office back in the States and see if they will give me the date of my last cycle pre-Ben." I figured it was a long shot....who knew if they even had my records from 3 1/2 years ago.

I was smiling the whole time I was on the phone. I knew it was a strange request, but I live in a country where knowing this piece of information could actually be really helpful since plane tickets, passport and visas all depend on the date this little one shows up. I just wanted to know if I had Ben early or late based on adding 9 months and 7 days to the date of my last cycle.

So, I got the information. It wasn't hard to obtain at all. My old doctor's office was very helpful!

Here is how I figured the date I would deliver if this pregnancy lasted as long as Ben's. I realize that "every pregnancy is different". If I hear that again, I might actually throw up. But, I like having information and I am happy that I went through the trouble of looking silly to get it.

Benjamin:

Date of last cycle: 3-26-2007

9 months- 12-26-2007

7 days- 1-2-2008

So, it looks like I went 5 days early since Ben's birthday is 12-28-2007.

New Little One:

Date of last cycle: 3-8-2011

9 months: 12-8-2011

7 days: 12-15-2011

5 days early would be: 12-10-2011


We will see!!!!!


2 comments:

Crystal said...

however December 1 is a fantastic day to have a baby since it's an awesome birthday... i'm just sayin'

Tabetha said...

The 9/7 equation works well for a 28 day cycle. Your ultrasound (which is highly accurate early in pregnancy - I was fertility charting with three of my pregnancies and the ultrasound matched my calculations to the exact day all three times) with Ben indicated a due date two days prior to the due date you calculated when using the 9/7 equation (this means you probably ovulate on cycle day 12 instead of 14)... so, you should technically subtract two days from the 12/15 date to get 12/13. Using the 12/31 due date, Ben was only three days early, but you're still looking at 12/10/11 if this little one comes on the same schedule! :-)

Mine were 1 week/4 days/2 weeks early (but the last one didn't count since my body didn't go into labor on its own), but you never know, since... do I have to say it? ;-)