I need to hear from someone back in the States who has recently had this test. When I was pregnant with Ben, it was different. I was given the nasty stuff to drink in a "take home bag". I was told to drink it an hour before my next appointment. Then, my blood was drawn within an hour after drinking it. If I "passed" this test (which I did), I didn't have to sit for the 3-hour test. Is this still how it is done in the States or has the procedure changed?
I am 22 weeks, which seems a bit early for me to be taking the test, but makes sense because if something was wrong, getting medical treatment is harder to come by.
I dropped Ben off at the daycare this morning and headed to the Clinic. I got there when they opened at 8:30am. Instead of drawing blood, I was told that I would have my finger pricked three times over the course of three hours. I was given the nasty orange sugar water (makes me want to throw up just thinking about it) and told to drink it within 5 minutes. Then, I waited....and waited.....and waited.....
I didn't realize when I left the house this morning that I would have to sit in the waiting room the whole time. I called Caleb on the phone and asked the age-old question, "How much do you love me?"
Clearly, he loves me A LOT....because he brought the computer and my new TV shows to the clinic. This helped pass the time. :) I got to watch two episodes before the battery died. Not too bad.
I got my finger pricked at 8:45, 9:45 and 10:45. After the 10:45 prick, I got some bad news. I had only been given enough of the horrible sugar water for a 2-hour test. There was some talk back and forth about whether the doctor would require the 2-hour or the 3-hour. If he said the 3-hour, everything was in vain....and I would have to come back another day and do the whole test again.....
Turns out that the 2-hour was the only one required. PHEW! I passed with flying colors....which is always a relief.
It wasn't so bad watching TV shows all morning....and not having any associated guilt. And, the baby was moving A LOT because of the sugar high he was most likely experiencing. That's always fun to feel....
And in other fun news, Caleb was able to feel the baby kick last night. Love this time during the pregnancy....the Glucose test is behind me and other people can feel this little munchkin moving about!
4 comments:
I took the glucose test and it kinda just tasted like sugary gatorade. I didn't have the finger prick but they did take blood at the beginning of the test and then again after my 30 min appointment was over. I guess to get a baseline? Either way just sounds like you passed which I guess is all that matters.
Just took mine last week. The sugar water was way worse this time...not sure why. The routine was breakfast, 1 hr. later sugar water (drunk in less than 5 min.), 1 hr. later blood drawn. I brought 2 books with me (I was almost done with the first) to pass the time, but (surprisingly) didn't need them that badly since they fit in my monthly OB appointment during the 1 hr. wait. Haven't had my results back yet. So glad you passed! Gestational diabetes would be bad anywhere, but especially (I imagine) in a 3rd world country!
Both times I have taken it, I had to drink the stuff at the Drs office in 5 minutes sitting in front of the nurse. Then they gave me a timer set for 1 hour & I waited...thy then drew my blood.
I've never heard of getting to take the stuff home with you. I've always had to get blood drawn before the test so they can compare...and the 3 hour test is only for those who fail the one hour test. It still works pretty much the same though; they take blood before the test and then once after each hour. So glad you passed though!
Post a Comment