We just had a little scare- but everything is OK.
Some Friday nights during the school term, the High Schoolers put on a Hamburger Night for the community. We were standing in line and Ben went to play with some friends. He fell backwards and hit his head on the curb. Thankfully, there were people around to help me, because I do NOT do well with the sight of blood. I scooped him up and walked to the clinic (it was a LONG walk). Thoughts were going through my head- are we going to be medivac-ed? I was feeling so dizzy, I knew I couldn’t look at the wound, I just had to get him to the doctor.
It turns out that the bump/gash is not that deep. The staff here is really great. They had to shave Ben’s head, but in the end, they couldn’t get the bandage to stick. Ben is now walking around with his REALLY cool “hat” (pictured above). Even just typing this, I feel like I need to go lay down again.
I think that the reason I am so dizzy and queasy is because something like this is just a reminder that we are in a third world country. We have AMAZING doctors here…..some of which I would trust with my life. And, the nurses have been ALL OVER the world. But, it is still a reminder that we are not a 5 minute drive to Wake Med, you know?
Please continue to pray for our health and safety. It is easy to forget where we live and how far away Australia is for a medivac…..but, we know that God has called us to be here for this time. So, we trust in him to keep us safe. But, we could sure use all the prayers you can send on behalf of our family and the other families that live here in Papua New Guinea.
1 comment:
Praying... and as I drove a friend to get a chest X-Ray yesterday in Dar, wondering if we'd need to go pack up her house that night to send her back to the States (the chest X-Ray was clear, PTL) I totally understand what you mean. It's a different world and a different concept of what it means to get sick!
Post a Comment