Thursday, October 17, 2013

Half Marathons are JUST Like Vegas!

Maybe not EXACTLY the same, but pretty darn close.  Allow me to explain!

1) Change in scenery!

Colorado Half Marathon- This is not a view that I get to see every day. We followed the Poudre River out of the canyon for 5 of the miles.  Beautiful!

 

Vegas- Again, NOT a view I get to see daily! We stayed at the Palazzo/Venetian....and, wouldn't you know??  A river ran through the entire hotel!  Starting to see the similarities and where I am going with this post??


(Notice the river behind us!!)



2)  Pictures sent to me of the kids (and hubby!) while I was away!

Half Marathon Day- They came to see me at the finish line!


Vegas- Picture Caleb sent to me of the kids WORN out while hanging out with dad.


 3) DANCE MUSIC!!

Half Marathon- my playlist was filled with music that made me want to just get up and dance.  Even now, when I hear "my" dance songs, I kind of want to go for a run.

(This was between mile 11 and 12 BTW)


Vegas- As I was dancing the night away with my girlfriends, I couldn't understand how they could possibly be tired.  When I looked at the clock and saw it was 4am, but I was still wanting to dance, I realized that training for the half marathon (at altitude) was just what I needed to literally dance all night.  I could tell I was at a lower elevation.  Big time!


4) Rewards!

 Half Marathon- I got this medal to show for my efforts!  Ben likes to wear it now since it currently has a home in his dress up clothes box!


Vegas- Look at the presentation of this "reward".  Breakfast without the kiddos, coffee that doesn't get cold, a meal I didn't prepare myself, cream cheese and lox = a true REWARD! Moms need rewards like this every so often!


5) Memories/Pictures Made with Besties

Half Marathon- it was so great to have Caleb waiting for me at the finish line....and to be able to snap this picture of this memory made!


Vegas- I miss these girls since we are scattered all over America.  Loved all the shots we took while we were on vacation!



In retrospect, I think that the only REAL similarity to the two events was the music and "dancing" (I sometimes pretend I am dancing as I run).  Other than that, the two events were very, VERY different.

As I sit here reminiscing, I am really proud for two things- 1) I actually ran my first half marathon, loved it and would like to do it again.....and 2) I am also really proud/happy that we, very busy now-moms, made this Vegas trip possible.

Both events- at one point in time- seemed like they would never happen.  But, they did!

No comments: