Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Free Like a Man!

I am going to give you a taste of how life was a little different for expat men and women in PNG.  

The first group of pictures show ways that Caleb enjoyed PNG when he wasn't with me.

Saut-
 an 11 day hike through the beautiful mountains of PNG 
to a location where you usually have to fly into via helicopter.


If you didn't have a vehicle, no problem! 
Hop onto a PMV (public motor vehicle):


Cross this one off the bucket list- 
Motorcycle 
ride from the highlands to the lowlands.


LoneTree Mountain
This was the mountain we could see from our houses on center.





Now, take a look at some of the highlights that I have when I think about doing things in PNG without Caleb. 

"Saying Good-Bye to the Roarin' 20's 
and Hoping the 30's are not the 
Great Depression" Party!


Helicopter Ride 
for my birthday!


Jessie's Birthday Party
(I am the only one pregnant here....my "wantoks", or friends who speak my heart language, are using pillows!)


Missy's Party!


My Ladies' Bible Study Party


Pretend New Year's Party


Kelly and My Baby Shower
(Overnight)


So, if you compare the groups of pictures, you will notice that all of my experiences were on center, usually inside (if they were at night) and all about community, not landscape/scenery/nature. Trust me, if it had been safe/acceptable/the norm for women to traipse all over the countryside, we would have been doing that.  But, we all made the most of what we could do instead of dwelling on what we couldn't.

The reason I bring attention to this difference is merely to point out one of the biggest reasons I am a bit excited (even) about having to bike everywhere. For almost 3 years, this was a privilege that I was not able to experience. 

Every single time I get on my bike, I get this feeling that says
 "This is safe??  This is allowed?? Go for it!!"

 So, I am choosing to go for it and enjoy the freedom I have to enjoy Colorado in ways I have missed!

No comments: