Monday, January 17, 2011

What is Ministry?

Lately, I have been thinking about our life here in PNG and the things we choose to do with our time and energy.  I know that I have not been a very good blogger when it comes to our ministry and the work that is going on here.  But, frankly, it is hard to write about all the things God is doing through our obedience without feeling like I am just patting myself on the back. Also, on the flip side, it is very easy to look at our lives and think, “What are we doing for God, really?”

 

Tonight, a couple of my 11th grade girls came over for a night of prayer.  It was so nice to sit with them, praying and reflecting on this past year!

 

I cannot help but look back and feel completely blessed by the opportunities that I have been given to serve is different ways.

 

-          I absolutely love working with the 11th grade girls here.  They are all so full of life and overflowing with a maturity I pray my own kids will possess one day.  God has used me to speak Truth into their lives, and they have shown me what it is like to be raised in a missionary home.

-          I feel blessed by all the friends God has given to me.  I have met so many amazing ladies here on center.  I think I love them all!  They are all so unique and different….and I have learned so much about the God of all cultures.  I feel like I have been a sounding board, too.  They have helped me transition, but I truly feel like I have helped them relax a bit and enjoy life a bit more.  I guess there is something about new, instantaneous relationships that just makes you believe that there is a God. 

-          I can see how helpful Caleb has been to this Branch.  He has been able to make SO MANY relationships with Papua New Guineans.  He has so many “bratas” (brothers) who respect him and talk with him.  He has provided stability in a role that desperately needed it.  Though he will not accept any of the credit, I am so proud to be married to a man who gave up so much to help so many.  So many people are thankful for his acceptance of this position that no one wanted to fill long-term.  Though we still wonder whether this is a position that he can fill long-term, with all the stresses of the job, we know that he is filling a big need of this Branch.

-          I am happy that we are now more settled….and that I can help in a support role, using my accounting skills and MBA.  My job was a critical need of the Branch.  I am so thankful that I actually like the work….and I pray that through this job, I will be able to make more friends and touch more lives here in PNG.

-          I get to coach soccer this term and will probably help with volleyball, too.  Again, these kids here are just so great.  I am excited to be able to provide some sort of stability in the lives of these high schoolers who are used to change all the time.

-          God has placed a translator in our path who we are SUCH good friends with.  We are going to be the support team for Jessie as she heads to her first allocation which will last for the next 2 years.  When you are not working directly with Bible Translation, it is easy to “forget why we are here”.  By supporting Jessie, we are just that much closer to the “front lines”.

-          Though hard, our faith has been strengthened in ways we sometimes wish could be strengthened differently.  We are faced with financial stress and the unknowns of relying totally on God and those He has called to support us while we are here.  Our house situation presents so many other stresses and worries.  But, we are learning what it means to have faith during these difficult times. We are also learning how to accept enormous amounts of generosity that have come our way.  We are also learning how to trust God and to not fear the future.  I can’t say we have learned this lesson yet, but I know that God is doing something.  I am praying that I will learn to live above the circumstances in this life.

-          And lastly, it is so cool to be able to talk about the work that has been accomplished here in PNG within the last year.  In 2010, the following language groups received the New Testament in their heart language: Lote, Haruai, Molima, Male, Miniafia, Mandara, Yopno, Takuu, and Sursurunga.  There are currently seven New Testament dedications scheduled for 2011!

 

Thank you for all your support.  I encourage you to take some time to reflect on this past year.  How has God been moving in your life?  What risks have you taken in following after him.  Not everyone has to move across the world. But, are you following God with wholehearted devotion, or are you serving him your leftovers?  What risks have you taken- financially, relationally, up-and-move-ally? I know,l not a word, but you get the point.  It is so easy to get lost in the day in and day out of our lives.  My prayer for you is that you would respond to God’s call on your life….and that you wouldn’t settle for a lukewarm life.  Now, I am not saying that I am living this way all the time, every day….even over here, it is a constant dying to myself, my desires, my comfort….

 

1 comment:

Casey and Sarah said...

SUCH a great post Adrienne. Love your heart and all God is teaching you. We are so proud of ALL THREE of you and all you are doing for the Gospel! Love you!
sarah