Monday, November 8, 2010

All Is Well

Things are well here in PNG.  There have been no break-ins lately….and the valley fights seem to have simmered down for a time.  Thank you ALL for your continued prayers on this matter.

 

This past week-end was really busy!  I have just over-committed too much.  This seems to be the case almost EVERY week-end.  Every week-end, I say “yes” to a ton of things that I WANT to do…but I tend to live my life very stressed out in between each event.

 

On Friday night, we started the week-end off by going to Hamburger Night at the Teen Center.  While standing in line with my friend Melody, I watched her order and pay for 2 hot dogs (and some other things).  But, when the food arrived later after we had sat down, they brought her 11 hot dogs!!  Turns out she used slashes to make a 2….which looked more like an 11.  Then, after I had made fun of her mercilessly, I started getting really annoyed that our food had not arrived.  I soon realized that I had not written my name on the slip.  Our food was just sitting there waiting to be picked up.  I need to be more careful before I start making fun of someone again.

 

After that, Ben went to Andy and Melody’s house.  He calls her Aunt Melopee.  It is really cute!  After dropping him off, we went camping!  Our friend Benji and Esther had already set up our camp.  We didn’t even go off-center….just over in one corner of the center which has a fire pit.  It was so nice to sit around and have adult conversation.  We cooked sausages, ate Doritos, drank PNG coke (which I think is better than American coke), and roasted marshmallows.  In the morning, we made pancakes and enjoyed coffee before heading home.

 

That afternoon, I went to this thing called CONNECT.  It is pretty much a church women’s event that happens every couple of months.  This time, they were offering all sorts of classes that you could sign up for.  This included everything from making Korean or Japanese food, cake decorating, how to cut hair class, alterations, and more.  I attended a women’s self-defense class led by my husband and two of his friends.  Caleb led the class and explained things about the culture and awareness.  Then, his friends Gavin (trained in Tae Kwon do) and Chad (trained in Judo), taught us some moves.  I learned SO much from this class.  I am SO happy that I went….but was SO tired afterwards.  My partner, Esther, had been a wrestler in high school.  We were both very competitive AND hurting after the class.  Fun times!

 

That night, I planned a 30th birthday party for my friend Missy.  I met Missy during our training in Madang….the one that lasted 14 weeks.  When I heard that she was going to be here at Ukarumpa AND that this was her birthday month….well, that meant a party!  I rented out a room here on center.  We made our own pizzas, enjoyed AMAZING desserts and danced the night away with Wii’s Just Dance which we projected onto the wall.  MORE fun times!

 

Sunday morning came too quickly.  The house was a WRECK.  That afternoon, after church, we went over to Benji and Esther’s house (our camping friends) to watch some Eagles football.  They had some DVD’s that had been sent to them.  I made a Taco Chili (award-winning Taco Chili, I might add).  We ate SO much we were all practically falling asleep by halftime!  That night, we just relaxed.

 

Phew!  So, that was our week-end.  Today (Monday), I had some work to do for the Daycare and for the Security office (accounting work).  But, since I didn’t sleep much last night, I was looking forward to a nap when Ben napped.  But, it turns out that was the time that the housing department thought it would be a good idea to put arc mesh all around our windows.  It went something like this.  Ben laid down, I laid down, then banging and pounding began immediately overtop of our heads!  Not cool.  Needless to say, it was a very tiring day.  I made a dinner for a family who is leaving the center on Monday.  They have to go home, so I signed up a while back to help them out in this way.  The roads are super wet around here….which meant that I slipped and slided all the way down the mountain to their house….afraid that I was not going to make it home again!!

 

I did.

 

Then, my 11th grade girls came over and I led their Bible Study.  Afterwards, they all drove home….and one of their cars ended up in a ditch.  They are all ok….but it just goes to show how bad these roads are when it rains.

 

Ok….so I am rambling now….AND I forgot to mention the most important thing:

 

Caleb leaves this Wednesday.  He will be gone for 8 days!  More on that next post….

No comments: