Sunday, September 26, 2010

Freaking Out....About Selling Our House!

There have been some things/consequences that were to be expected when we decided to quit our jobs, move out of our house and travel across the world to PNG.

 

We feared that something horrible would happen to my grandparents…..and, you have read that recently, my grandmother passed away.

 

Another thing we feared: the selling of our house from overseas.

 

I don’t know why this is so scary, but it is.  The time has come for us to put our house on the market and get rid of it once and for all.  We never expected to move back into it, but I guess we hoped that we wouldn’t have to worry over it.

 

God has used the whole “house thing” as a confirmation to us about actually moving to PNG.  When I decided that I was on board and wanted to live this life, too, God confirmed (loud and clear) that this was the path we were supposed to take.  Things that NEVER should have lined up….well, let’s just say, everything worked itself out. 

 

But, I have to admit how embarrassed I am to be so nervous about trying to sell the house.  I KNOW that God used the perfect timing of our renters coupled with the unselfish invitation of a place to live for a reason.  He used these circumstances to prove that he is God….and that in my head, I was looking to sell the house, God had planned for it to be rented.  So, now I am embarrassed that I don’t have “faith” it will sell now.  It is like I go about living and trusting God only after the fact….you know the “Oh….now I see that God was there….because I can see this this and this after the fact.”  I guess that I am just longing for the type of faith that trusts God during the process….one that trusts God even before the outcome.

 

While I was at Encounter, the speaker spoke about this very topic.  He spoke that many times  in the Bible, when someone chose to step out in faith, there was an immediate test of faith associated with that decision. The speaker was talking about Abraham.  My notes say something like this:  “God speaks, we have an opportunity to respond and when we respond, our immediate response gets tested.”  So, I am challenged to believe like Abraham.  His belief floors me and inspires me to have a stronger faith.  He believed even though he did not know where he was going.  He believed even when he didn’t know how God was going to come through.  And, he believed when he didn’t know why.  Sometimes our fear becomes bigger than God….when this happens, we fail a test of faith.  So, I am choosing to believe like Abraham.  I know that God called us to be here and he knew that we would be selling our house.  But, I am praying that my fear will not become bigger than my God.

 

1 comment:

The Renfrows said...

This post is very encouraging to me since I struggle with trusting God at times too. Thanks for being so real.