Again, I could only take so many people. This time, I picked friends who have NEVER been on a helicopter ride before. :) I have to admit, this was the high-light of my week.
Here in PNG, we have to fly on little planes to get from Port Moresby to where we live in Ukarumpa. I'm not going to lie....I still get nervous riding in those planes. But, being in a helicopter was SOOOOO nice. PNG is such a beautiful country. In a helicopter, you don't fly as high as you would in a plane.....and everything about the ride was so....what's the word....graceful! :)
Here's a picture of our center from the air:
And....and picture of the beautiful mountains surrounding us....
Mel had to stay back with Caleb.....but she got to watch us.
That's me up there!!!
Ben was supposed to go with us. By accident, I told him that he was going to go with us. But, the day of the flight, I found out that since he is 4, he has to have his own seat. I was so afraid that this was going to be so sad for him....finding out that he wasn't going on a ride after all. But, the High School Aviation Class was scheduled for helicopter rides right after us.....and they had space for Ben!! So, not only did he get to ride a helicopter, he went without his parents!
Lucky kid....who needs TV, right??
When I got back from the helicopter ride, a surprise was waiting for me....that really made the whole day that much more special. Taped to my door, my friends posted 30 things that they love about me. :) I won't name them all here....but it was really sweet and a complete surprise! Then, like it could get any better, right?? My friends made cupcakes and had sparkling cider for us to enjoy. They sang to me and we sat around and chatted some more.
I am so blessed that I live in a community like this one. Seriously, what's keeping you from the mission field? There are so many AMAZING things about living here...where you have to make your own fun....that is worth every thing you had to give up.
1 comment:
Happy Birthday, friend! You've got some amazing people with you there! And you're right... what's keeping people from missions anyway? It's totally worth it! :) Love you!
Post a Comment