Sunday, April 1, 2012

Happy Birthday to Me!

You only turn 30 once, right?

I have to admit that never in my wildest dreams, did I think that I would be in Papua New Guinea for my 30th birthday. I had always imagined that I would have been with my best friends the year we all turned 30 together.

I knew (very early on) that I was going to have to do something BIG for my 30th....in hopes that it would counteract the sadness of not being with my high school girlfriends. Well, the event turned into a week long celebration. And, if you know me, that is the best kind of party!

Slowly, I came up with a theme. The idea was a "Roaring Twenties" Party. I figured it was "Time to say 'Good-Bye' to the roaring '20's & Hope that the '30's won't be the Great Depression!"

We had a horse drawn carriage ride to a "Speak Easy" Club. Once the guests arrived, they had to whisper the secret password to get in. Caleb made calzones for us with salad and cake. Ben was around (and in costume) and Melanie wore her best.

Here's the invitation:

Now, we live in a VERY small community. So, just imagine all the looks that we got standing outside on our lawn. Not to mention- in PNG, you don't even dress up like you would in the States....so to be dressed like flappers was even funnier. I am just so happy to have so many fun girlfriends here willing to be really silly with me. They all got into the idea of dressing up. Fun times and great pictures and memories!

(Johanna, Me, Deb, Sarah with Mel, Kelly with Gwennie)

The High School was putting on a Sherlock Holmes play this same week....so there weren't any guns to borrow for Ben and his gangsta attire. So, a nerf gun was the best we could do. Gotta love those Batman crocs, too.

Once inside the Speak Easy club, there were all things "illegal". We played a little cards that night, danced a little Wii just dance and thoroughly enjoyed a night away from the kids.

Caleb was amazing. He knows how much I LOVE LOVE LOVE birthdays. And, after this night, I know how much he loves me. He really got into the theme and decorations and food. I love him. :)

Of course, we needed to get a group shot:

(Standing- Kelly, Johanna, Amie, Mandy, Deb, Crystal and Sarah

Sitting- Kendal, Me and Melody)

I have to admit that I could have easily invited three times as many ladies to this. There are just SO many friends here....and we all love a good night out. But, I had to keep this party small since we provided all the food. :)

Like father like son!

After dinner, we all changed into our comfy clothes and sat around talking and laughing and eating! Here is a picture of me with my Dice cake. I am pretty proud to say that it didn't turn out that bad. I really thought it would flop since this was the first time I have tried to make a themed cake.

And, let's not forget beautiful little Mel. She was a wonderful baby the whole night. She got all dressed up for pictures and was asleep before dinner.

Thank you, to all my friends here. You really made me feel loved....and I had such a good time with all of you. It will be fun to look back on my 30th birthday with such fond memories. I am going to miss you all next year!

No comments: