Tuesday, April 2, 2013

A Family Christmas....

We missed our family this Christmas.  That being said, though, we had spent the better part of July, August and September reconnecting with them on the East Coast.  So, come December, while we really wanted to be with them, we also felt like we had just seen them.  Does that make sense??

Now, as it is April when I post this, I find myself missing them SOOOOO much.  I know that this coming Christmas will be 10 times harder than this past one....which is why it is so good to have my aunt and uncle living here in Colorado with us.  We have had the chance to spend so much time with them.....and Ben and Mel have a chance to have family nearby.

This Christmas, we celebrated the week-end before Christmas with them....which included a Santa Train ride, complete with snow falling all around us.  Also, we went to a train garden which made Ben's year!  And, we attempted to take our kids to one of THE fanciest restaurants I have ever been to....with the idea that if they did not behave, we could all take turns walking them around the grounds to look at the Christmas decor.  Well, they behaved better than anyone expected.  I was so proud of my little ones....and thoroughly enjoyed my Beef Wellington....












After the Santa Train ride and the early dinner, we went back to my aunt and uncle's house for presents and dessert!  We have a fireplace in our apartment, but we can't light it because of Mel.  I loved sitting by the fire at their house....


And LOOK at their beautiful tree!!


Christmas Day, we enjoyed a nice, quiet family day.  We had a couple of awesome friends invite us over, but Caleb kept declining.  At first, I was a little sad, since I love to be around people and we were still trying to make lots and lots of friends!  I guess we still are trying....haha....but I have to say that Caleb was right....and the down time was just what we all needed.

Here is a picture of Mel in her Christmas dress.....I am so bad about taking pictures on the holidays.  I was so much better at remembering to do this in PNG.  Sorry, family.  Give me a break this year, ok?  I will get on it soon....


Christmas Eve night, Caleb and I made frozen pizza, drank some cheap red wine and wrapped the gifts.  We  were just so blessed by our family who all sent gifts this year for the kiddos (and us).  So, it was fun to wrap them all and put them out on Christmas Eve.


We started a tradition in Cairns, Australia to leave out Chips and Salsa for Santa instead of cookies.  We know for a fact that Santa really likes Chips and Salsa....and he needs a little salty to go with all that sweet.  Here is Ben's letter....precious...


Here is the little excited boy right before bed...


Christmas morning was so much fun and so relaxing.  After opening gifts, we got to go SLEDDING with our new sleds from Beach Grammy and Beach Grandpa.








Wrapping up the month of December, who could forget Ben's birthday???

Here he is with his number 5 pancake that I made especially for him!  He got a bike this year, which he has already had a chance to ride.....and a super-cool Spiderman helmet courtesy of Aunt Juju and Uncle Frank.



No comments: